[P1] Hello?

david davidwb at spymac.com
Sun Dec 28 17:52:53 PST 2003

On 12/28/03 8:25 PM, "mentholiptus" <mentholiptus at mac.com> wrote:

> I'm new to the list, I just signed up yesterday and have a few
> questions.
>
> What's up with this "logic board failure" stuff? Are there any happy
> recent iBook owners who haven't had any problems? It seems like
> everywhere I look, I'm hearing about deleted threads on the subject,
> class action lawsuits, etc...
>
> I'm asking because I have 2 on order that are to ship out
> tomorrow...and I'm beginning to question if I should cancel the order,
> or hope for the best.

There may be a problem or there may be unlucky people. My high school has
three labs of the dual USB machines and we've not had a single logic board
failure among them. We also have quite a few staff members and one of them
has returned her machine to Apple twice - both might come under the generic
"logic board problem" but they were for two completely different issues. The
first was for strange video problems - sort of a matrix effect upon
awakening - and the other for freezing issues.

My dual USB iBook (which I sold to buy a new 15" PowerBook) is still going
strong after 18 months - and it is one of the models that is supposedly
prone to logic board failures.

If/when my wife decides to replace her graphite iBook I wouldn't hesitate to
buy her a new G4 iBook. I would also buy AppleCare - it is worth buying,
logic board problems or no.

david