[P1] anti-spam

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 29 13:13:57 PST 2003

On Dec 29, 2003, at 1:58 PM, Don Hinkle wrote:

> Why can't anti-spam workers simply forget trying to chase down the
> forged headers and find the URL that spammers always list, which offers
> a real hit, and shut down that site?
> thanks,

That's along the line of an idea I have promoted for some time...

A commercial spam includes one or more:

A phone number
An address to send a check
A contact email address
A web site to visit

If spam were declared illegal if it contained fictitious email
addresses, etc. then it would seem quite simple to use any of the above
info to arrest and prosecute the person who is paying for it to be
sent. That person cannot hide easily nor can a website.

The recent US Congress attempt to legitimize spam avoided these
concepts. It is the person who is paying for the spam that should be
prosecuted, as well as the spammer. Make the punishment severe for the
payer with a lesser punishment if they identify the spammer.

If you have a phone number, contact the phone company or state
regulatory agency and tell them about it. The mailing address, contact
the post office. Etc.

Heck, if I could make any money compiling such lists and submitting
them, I would. Do you think people would donate any money to finance
the project?

---
Trees are being sucked dry of life in South Florida by a tiny insect.
<http://www.lobatelacscale.com>