[P1] Dumb Question...chapter 2 (BTW, there are no dumb questions....)

Richard McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Sun Feb 2 13:31:07 PST 2003

Pat D. Stephens wrote the following:

> I just read in Mac OSX KillerTips that I can set the CD player in
> iTunes to not download songs, but just play the CD, but it tells me hit
> Command->Y and when I do, a thumping sound is heard, but the
> preferences don't come up...the Command key IS the one with the Apple
> symbol minus a bite, isn't it?  It doesn't work that way on my machine
> (white 700 iBook).  When I go to them under the System Preferences, I
> don't get the choices he says I will...what's the catch here?  It is
> the Mac OSX Jaguar version book too...10.2.  Any thoughts about why
> this is?  If I could just tell iTunes not to download, it would work
> nicely for me as a Audio CD player without adding another program

If I understand you correctly Pat, you would be quite happy to have iTunes
just play the CD you insert and not to make a copy of it and when you try to
change this in the iTunes preferences you get no results...if this is
correct then...first try changing the preferences before you put a CD in or
do some other CPU intensive task in iTunes...just start iTunes without
inserting a CD or playing any music...and then try your keyboard
shortcut...if this fails try this...once you have started iTunes , go to the
menu bar and click on the word iTunes, once the roll down menu is showing,
move the mouse over preferences and click it once, it should now show your
preferences dialog box that they mention in the tips book...click on the
heading "general" and change the option where it says "on CD insert"...to
your choice...either show songs, begin playing or others...

The keyboard shortcut you mention should also work but maybe it didn't
because....you need to make sure that iTunes app is in the foreground (ie.
the menu bar is showing iTunes and its menu items...and/or possibly it may
not have been able to call up the preferences because you might have had a
CD already inserted and iTunes is trying to burn a CD or other task that it
may not appreciate you wishing to change the settings just then...

HTH,

Richard