[P1] Download Problems

George Slusher gslusher at rio.com
Tue Feb 4 19:01:55 PST 2003

>I have an 800 MHz iBook. I'm trying to download the latest version of
>iMovie. I keep losing my internet connection. I turned off the "sleep"
>function in System Prefs, thinking that was the problem, but that
>didn't help. I've had this happen before on large downloads. Any
>suggestions?

Downloading stuff from the Apple website can be problematic, especially
something as popular as iMovie's latest release. Try doing it in the
middle of the night.

>Here's the second question. When I was using Omniweb, if I lost my
>connection during a download, when I dialed up again the download took
>up where it had stopped; I didn't lose what I had already gotten. Now
>I'm using Safari, which doesn't seem to have the same feature. When I
>dial up, the download goes nowhere and the only option seems to be
>starting over. I have over half of iMovie downloaded (for the second or
>third time) and I'd love to be able to take up where I left off. Any
>suggestions for this problem?

Uh, go back to Omniweb? Some browsers support resuming stopped downloads,
others don't. I've not used Safari. Does it have a "Download Manager"
window, or something like that? If so, go there and click on the line for
your download. It might open a window that will allow you to resume.

Failing that, I'd suggest a good download manager, like Speed Download.
There are others, as well. They can usually queue a list of downloads,
then go through them in order. Many have the capability to resume a
stopped download--check the specs. Go to Version Tracker and search on
"download" or "download manager." They can also make multiple
connections, which isn't much of a help with a dialup connection, but can
be with a high-speed connection like DSL or a cable modem. Speed Download
has worked pretty well for me in OS 9.2.2. There is an OS X version, I
believe.

George Slusher/Eugene, OR
gslusher at rio.com