Silent running iBook: Revisited!

Small Moose Ltd small_moose_ltd at mac.com
Wed Feb 5 03:43:09 PST 2003

I posted about this months and months ago. I'm still trying to get a totally
silent running iBook.

For my purposes I want to put the iBook on my lap, have AppleWorks 6 and
Microsoft Word open at the same time, probably Entourage too. I want to be
able to flip between the three and not have the hard drive spin up once.

What components of the software would I have to put in the RAM disk in order
to achieve this silence? Usually what happens with me (without the RAM
disk), is that everything will be quiet while I am typing away, but when I
go to access a pull down menu, there will be a two second pause as the hard
drive wakes and spins up to access. It also happens after writing a certain
amount.

I just want to type, cut, paste, switch between open programs without waking
up the hard disk. A totally silent computer. :)