[P1] OT: LCD vs. CRT

david davidwb at spymac.com
Thu Feb 6 05:09:10 PST 2003

On 2/5/03 10:34 PM, "good-dog at northshore.net" <good-dog at northshore.net>
wrote:

> Where I work we use PC's mostly (the art department has the macs, but
> even there, the head guy says stuff like "We ain't moving to OS X for a
> long time. Too much trouble and it's not stable." I don't get it, but I
> don't get a lot), and it's pretty much a CRT screen environment.

In regard to OS X ³isn¹t stable² the guy is dead wrong. However, depending
on the mix of software being used, and the hardware being used, waiting to
switch over to OS X may make economic sense. Adobe and Macromedia have done
a good job transitioning their software to OS X and plug-ins are coming
along nicely. However, there is that one graphic albatross. You know who I
mean. Quirk - I mean Quark - does run in Classic but lots of people have
scripts to automate their work and running these through Quirk in Classic
results in unpredictable results and in some cases, I¹ve been told by a Mac
guru I trust, it isn¹t possible to create a work around. Waiting for OS X
Quirk does make sense.

Also, we all know that switching to OS X can result in hardware changes -
and that can go beyond the computer. OS X doesn¹t play nice with SCSI. It
doesn¹t play nice with all printers, it doesn¹t play nice with PostScript
level 1 printers. It doesn¹t play entirely nice with Microsoft servers. So
there are some reasons to wait a little longer in some circumstances. That
being said, any shop that hasn¹t brought in at least 1 or 2 boxes to begin
evaluating the transition curve isn¹t being served well by its IT people.
Your IT guy sounds like an Microsoft droid.

> Lately I've been noticing my eyes feel not so good after looking at the
> CRT screen all day (prior to this job, which I started in July, I
> didn't look at a computer all day).  At home I use my ibook with it's
> LCD screen, and the feelings in my eyes are not the same as when I look
> at the CRT types.  There also seems to be a difference between the Mac
> screen and the PC screen resolution or something.  When I look at the
> new iMac at the stores, the screen is easy to look at and not
> burdensome.

PC systems often cheap out on the monitor. They can be dim, fuzzy, have poor
geometry, and low refresh rates. Also, if you have fluorescent lighting its
cycle might mismatch with the monitors refresh cycle making matters even
worse. Check your monitor¹s refresh rate. Anything under 70 drives me batty!
And I get the same symptoms you describe. With a low refresh you can see
jitter and flicker. The monitor you have might be fine but the refresh too
low.

david

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by frost.

davidwb at spymac.com