[P1] OT: LCD vs. CRT

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 7 04:21:54 PST 2003

> OTOH, saying "we're waiting for Quark to come out with an OS X native
> version" is a reasonably acceptable one

I wonder if the reason QuarkExpress is so slow to move over is that it
uses QuickDraw rather than Postscript. Hope I chose the right name.
QuickDraw is no longer being used by Apple in OS X and so QuarkExpress
will have to be rewritten to use Postscript which may involve license
fees or they will have to write their own screen display software, etc.

If my thinking is correct, Quark will have to completely rethink and
rewrite they application in terms of displaying and printing graphics
and fonts, not just new code to comply with X as everyone else has done.

Hindsight wishes that Apple had used Display Postscript from its
beginning. It would have made life easier on everyone.

I think I have this QuickDraw thing correct. If anyone knows more about
it or can correct my point, please do.

---
In an article about DoubleClick, Wired posts a DoubleClick cookie:
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,54769,00.html>

http://www.jackrodgers.com