[P1] capture from tv

Anders Bogdan anders at theworks.org
Sat Feb 8 10:46:23 PST 2003

EyeTV, better than a VCR? Way better. I hope never to use another vcr
or tape. The video I want to save can be formatted for vcd and written
to a cd. Lots of dvd players will play a vcd so, that's the plan for
me. I haven't actually tried that yet as i still have lots of room on
my 80G external fw drive.

For capturing from a vcr, I'd suggest getting a nice miniDV sony
handycam. Plug the vcr into the camera via svideo and camera in your
mac via firewire and capture with iMovie. Same with the dvd. I don't
know if you will have macrovision problems - probably if its a movie
you bought. But if you are converting your old vcr tapes to digital
video, this is the way to go. Much better quality than the EyeTV.

  I think you can watch TV this way also (with the vcr hooked up to the
miniDV into iMovie). Again better quality than EyeTV, but capturing
will consume enormous amounts of disk. And all those fun EyeTV features
are missing, scheduling and pausing and the like.

Are you considering buying an EyeTV or or do you already have one?
Anders