capture from tv

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Mon Feb 10 00:31:11 PST 2003

> From: Don Hinkle <donhinkle at att.net>
>
> 	I'm considering buying EyeTV and just looking for extra ways to
> justify
> my decision to spend money at this time!
> 	Thanks for your detailed reply. I didn't realize that EyeTV lacks
> quality? I thought there were different qualities of recording
> available? Are you talking top quality or average, or wot?

I think you may have misunderstood Anders. He wasn't saying that
EyeTV's picture isn't of good quality, only that direct capture via DV
Stream (Firewire) from a passthrough device such as a MiniDV camera or
a D/A converter like the Hollywood Dazzle DV Bridge is of better
quality.

EyeTV captures, compresses and stores video in a format called MPEG-1.
It is generally considered to be about the quality of VHS tape. EyeTV
has two different capture "options" -- Good and Better -- which are
probably roughly comparable to the difference between taping something
at 6-hour VHS speed and 2-hour VHS speed.

Unfortunately, EyeTV is not capable of doing any better than that due
to it's USB and compression limitations.

Capturing things directly from Firewire, however, provides for much
higher quality -- but at a cost. EyeTV needs only 650MB of hard drive
space to save an hour's worth of video -- a MiniDV camera importing
into something like iMovie at full DV Stream quality needs over 20GB of
space for an hour of video!

There is a happy medium, MPEG-2. You can get about 45 minutes of DVD
quality video in 650MB of hard drive space with this format, but to the
best of my knowledge there's no easy way to get video into this format
on the Mac ("easy" being defined as "set it and forget it" like EyeTV
or TiVo do). Maybe someday El Gato will bring out EyeTV 2 which works
with Firewire and uses MPEG2 compression!

> 	And, yes, I was thinking of digitizing capturing commercial videos.
> Since they go to the television by same connection that carries cable,
> why wouldn't the EyeTV capture directly? But maybe I don't understand
> how EyeTV works.

No, you've got it right. Anders was just pointing out the EyeTV does
not capture video at broadcast quality.

_Chas_

"Executives in the PC business use the word "sexy", in such a way that
I'm always surprised to discover that their children aren't adopted.
The Mac interface is not "sexy", and it would be grotesque to want it
to be. It is, in fact, playful, often well over the line into
frivolity. The bouncing icons (and the puffs of smoke and the
pipe-organ speech synthesizer and the way dialogs tidily resize and the
drop-shadows on the windows and the jellybean buttons and the eject key
on the keyboard) are not individually rationalizable on utilitarian
grounds, and they do not pretend they mean to be. They are there to, in
aggregate, change the nature of your relationship with the device. They
are joyful, and they hope their joy is infectious." -- Glenn McDonald