[P1] Connect iBook to internet connected PC ??? Possible ?

Luna Hector-r54293 hectorluna at motorola.com
Mon Feb 10 14:18:38 PST 2003

> Semi OT:
>
> Is it possible to connect my iBook to a PC laptop running Win2000 and get
> share of that internet connection (the PC is connected to the internet.
> For
> reasons to long to explain it HAS to be the PC using that connection) ?
>
> I know some wise people here are cross platform and may know that ... What
> do I have to switch in Win2000 (I know how to do that vice versa .. And it
> is not really an option, thanks :)
>
> Cheers

There are a few ways, but since you say that the PC HAS to be connected directly, you're going to have to go with one of the less savory options, and get your hands dirty. You're going to need a second NIC (network interface card) for the PC. Find an available slot on the PC, PCI or ISA (if you don't know which one open, take a Polaroid of your PC's motherboard with you to the store). If you don't have confidence in your PC skills to install it, most places will do that for you for a fee, but it really is pretty easy.

Once you have the second NIC installed, you'll need to find it in the Network Control panel. It should be the one labeled Local Area Network #2. Right-click on its icon then select properties. Click on the Sharing tab and put a check in the box that reads "Enable Internet connection sharing for this connection." Now run a Cat-5 Ethernet cable from the second NIC to your Mac's Ethernet port. If your Mac has an auto-switching NIC you can use a standard cable, if not you'll need to get a cross-over cable (you should be able to find the cables you need where you got your NIC). Configure your Mac for DHCP and you should be in business.

There are other aspects of Win 2K's connection sharing feature you might want to acquaint yourself with, if so open Win 2K's help and do a search for "enable internet connection sharing."

Good luck...

Hector Luna
Motorola Global Infrastructure Solutions
Phone: 480-413-3609
Pager: 877-529-2017 (Skytel 2way)
Email: hectorluna at motorola.com