[P1] Safari and web pages...

Zachary Heaton zheaton at ameritech.net
Tue Feb 11 13:53:02 PST 2003

On Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003, at 23:12 GMT, Pat D. Stephens wrote:

> The site is http://billfisher.dreamhost.com/ if you'd like to try it.
> That's the last one that gave me that problem.  It loads only the top
> of the front page, and then nada.
>
> Pat
> On Tuesday, February 11, 2003, at 05:05 PM, Gary D. Adams wrote:
>
>> Pat:
>>
>> What won't it open? Apple has a "bug" button to report things like
>> that.
>>
>> Gary

I just checked out the site in Chimera and it has the exact same
problem.  The issue here appears to be faulty HTML coding - I haven't
written frames by hand in a while, but I took a look at the source and
an HTML reference, and the page author appears to have messed up.  In
other words, I don't think this is Safari's problem.  At some point, if
you write your webpage with enough bugs, no browser can compensate.

Regards,
Zach Heaton

For those who are technically interested, here is how the page is
currently structured:

<frameset>
    <frameset>
       <frame>
    <frameset>
       <frame>
</frameset>
<noframes>
</noframes>

Note that neither of the two second-level framesets (which appear to be
superfluous) have the required closing tags.  Also, the <noframes>
element should be placed inside the top-level <frameset> element.  I am
not a professional web developer, but this is what it looks like to me.
  My guess is that this page rendered properly in MSIE on Windows, and
so it was not error-checked further.  This is why W3C standards matter.