[P1] 10.2.3 SUCKS! NOT!!!

lbdesigns at earthlink.net lbdesigns at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 12 08:29:12 PST 2003

On Wednesday, February 12, 2003, at 07:26  AM, Guy McMickle wrote:

> Anyway, there is a bug in the system that affects laptops.  It's a bug
> that causes a kernel panic when you log out.  From reading the posts
> on the apple discussion board, people seem to have narrowed it down to
> a problem with mouse settings in the .GlobalPreferences.plist file.
> It seems that on certain hardware, mostly laptops, this file becomes
> corrupted and causes crashes.  The workaround was to delete this prefs
> file and lock the new one so that it couldn't be corrupted again.

I have never heard of this... and I am on the iBook team. I will
investigate this, but I have never encountered this situation.

What would really be helpful is to see the kernel panic (the backtrace
-- info in /Library/Logs/panic.log.) If you happened to backup that
file, please send it to me. The URL to the discussions would be helpful
as well.

thanks,
leigh