[P1] OT: WinZip question

david davidwb at spymac.com
Sun Feb 16 07:34:55 PST 2003

On 2/16/03 6:44 AM, "good-dog at northshore.net" <good-dog at northshore.net>
wrote:

> All;
>
> What's the deal with WinZip?  Is it the equivalent of StuffitExpander
> for Windows? Does it come as a standard app with Windows?  Or is it
> something you must buy?
>
> A friend of mine, very computer unsavvy but learning, is on Windows and
> wants to buy something that requires Acrobat and WinZip.  He can't
> figure out if he has it on his system or not, and I'm not there to take
> a look at his computer.  I'm trying to figure out if it's most likely
> there or not.
>
> Can any of you cross-platform dressers help me out?

It is a little hard to say...WinZip is NOT an MS product but WinMe and WinXP
don¹t need it to open zipped files - the ability to extract a zipped file is
built into the OS. It treats them like folders. If he wants to zip a file
then he MAY need to download WinZip. I say may because it was included as
one of the bundled (and registered!) products of the last two PCs that have
been put on my desk. Acrobat has been included with nearly every PC system
I¹ve seen recently, but again that depends on the bundle of software that
came with his machine.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by frost.

davidwb at spymac.com