[P1] Original Blueberry Memory removal trouble

PaulaTx1 at aol.com PaulaTx1 at aol.com
Sun Feb 16 08:01:00 PST 2003

In a message dated 2/16/2003 7:19:48 AM Eastern Standard Time, good-dog at northshore.net writes:

> I bought a 512 mb memory chip for my blueberry ibook.  I remember being
> able to put in memory, but have not taken memory out of one
> of these.
   Mark,
Boot up  in  OS9  and click on Apple Help.  It has a very detailed instructions, including pictures, of how to change ram.
The basics:  unplug from power and remove the battery.  Watch out for static electricity (you don't want to zap anything).      Lift up the keyboard.  Use tiny screwdriver to remove the tiny screws from the silver plate that sets over the ram. (You only see the one ram chip; the other chip is soldered in somewhere.)  See the two  tiny silver indentions  on the left and right side of the ram chip?  Those are tiny clips.  Pry gently on them  then slip a fingernail under the chip and lever it up.  Now grasp it and pull out.  It's out.      Take other chip make sure you don't put it in upside down (look carefully, it will be obvious).  The only hard part  is  in making sure it seats in fully. Push it down flat  and make sure the silver things clip it.  Now push it towards the back of the computer and make sure it clicks in.  (I am real bad about not getting it pushed in far enough.  It will click. in place.)  Replace the metal plate.  Replace the keyboard. [Don't worry about the silver wire conncector that is just setting there on top of the silver plate.  It just sets there until you connect it to a n airport card.]  Plug in to power & replace the battery.  Push the  power button.  When you hear the start up chime, you know it worked!  If it chimes  but an OS won't boot up  it means  you didn't get that chip seated well enough.  OSX  will NOT even boot up on only  32mg of ram.  (If it won't boot, take things apart again - undo the power- and push that chip in better.)   After you get the computer up, check the Apple Profiler and make sure the computer sees the ram  and that it is what you paid for.
      I can't think of anything else to mention.  If I can do it, you can do it.
           Paula Rutledge