[P1] New Jag & Printer driver

William L Carr Jkirk3279 at beanstalk.net
Sun Feb 16 13:15:18 PST 2003

On Sunday, February 16, 2003, at 12:19  AM, Ally Maddox wrote:

> It used to be that Macintosh was the best computer. All you had to do
> was hit a few keys and everything was installed. Now they are worse
> than any PC I've ever met. Three and a half hours to download it, and
> over five to be told it couldn't be done. And now that I have Jag, it
> also has the gall to ask if I'm sure I want to shut down. Macs never
> did that before. PC's always ask you to verify if you want to shut
> down, but until this install, I had never heard of such a thing on a
> Mac. What an insult. You hit the shut down or restart button and it
> asks you if you really mean it, or are you so stupid that you hit the
> button by accident.

No, sorry, verifying before Shutdown has ALWAYS been there in OS
9,8,7,6....

As far as being stupid enough to hit the wrong button...before the USB
revolution Mac keyboards were scarce.  And I bought TWO different
models that have the Power Key right there next to the Shift Key,
instead of the upper right of the keyboard where God and Apple intended
it to be.  I even called the company to complain.   I trained myself to
be more careful but still hit it occasionally.

So, no, I think Verify before Shutdown is a GOOD thing.   As for
updates, welcome to the world of huge downloads and slow phone lines.
Updating isn't mandatory, you know.   Jag works fine without updating.

I once thought about starting a club to discuss the philosophy of
Fatalism.
But then I realized that even if anyone came, they'd only come to steal
the folding chairs.