[P1] Ttly OT: Fiji exercises internet censorship !!!

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 22 06:57:20 PST 2003

On Saturday, February 22, 2003, at 09:08  AM, Peter Nacken wrote:

> I am very curious what other takes is here ... Is this censorship?  I
> know
> fintel does that since they want to control the market of international
> calls ... But I really fear what comes next  ...

I think it is more of a move by the phone company to protect their long
distance call income than censorship. If people can call at no extra
charge over the internet, then the phone companies aren't making their
money.

Sprint rocked the boat in the US when it began offering free long
distance and eventually many cellcos began offering the same feature.

But, as you point out, a monopoly wields unfettered power.

---
jackrodgers at earthlink.net
http://www.jackrodgers.com