New here!

joe w runnels kuleinc at juno.com
Sat Feb 22 22:27:54 PST 2003

Hi all,
New here, am wanting to buy an Ibook, I don't think I could afford a
powerbook, was looking at Ice book 700-800 G3s with a combo drive, I am a
student, so I don't have a lot of money to spend, I just sold my IBM
thinkpad 600E for $300, I know that won't cover the purchase of an Ice
book, do you know of any good places to buy one online or in the Bay area
of CA?  Are there certain models I should watch out for?  Is it ok to run
OSX.2.4 on these as I have that OS to put on it?  Am not very familiar
with these, I noticed they are much cheape rnow with the new powerbooks,
I plan to run photoshop and OS and Office X on this laptop, would a 700
Mhz be speedy enough?  I have a 400 Mhz blue G3 desktop, I run OSx on it
an dplay with it, but I still use a PC fo rmy main machine, was hoping to
be bale to make and manage my online comic on my webpage on this laptop
(www.kuleinc.com) never used a faster Apple made computer than my Blue
G3, it does ok with OSX, it has a GB of RAM and I replaced the HDD with a
30 GB 7200 RPM IBM drive witch speeded it up, would a 700 Mhz icebook be
faster?  I know from my experience with my Thinkpad laptop that laptops
tend to sacrifice performance, meaning if you had the same setup in a
desktop machine you'd generally get better performance out of the desktop
than the laptop.  I know this guy at work paid $1500 for an 800 Mhz Ice
book with OSX and 640 MB of RAM, I don't think I coudl get that mcuh
money together all at once, my credit card has an $800 limit and 15%
interest rate.  Any suggestions?   are there stores that woudl accept
payments for the laptop?  I have some other mac hardware I could sell,
liek IIFX's and some PPC 7100s, a WGS 7250 120 Mhz, stuff liek that, but
I don't think I could get $1500 if I old it ALL...

-Joe