[P1] password protect folders in OS X

Mike Beede beede at visi.com
Sun Feb 23 08:29:14 PST 2003

On Sunday, Feb 23, 2003, at 05:45 US/Central, Kim Gammelgård wrote:

> The idea is to make a protected image using Disk Copy, then move the
> files
> to the image and delete them from the original place on the hard disk.
> Then
> there is only access to the files when the disk image is mounted
> although
> the files still reside on the hard disk.

Of course, the originals *are* still on the disk, at least in
fragmentary fashion, possibly for a long time.  It all depends
on the threat you're protecting against.  If you don't have to
protect against a mad Mac hacker (i.e., someone intimately
familiar with the way things work, instead of just a use (or
"luser" as we systems programmers affectionately refer to them)
having some residue on the drive shouldn't be an issue.

You might want to overwrite the original files *after* copying
them, though.  There are several programs around that do that.  One
that has the virtue of being stand-alone is ShredIt, available
through Versiontracker.

	Mike