[P1] Airport Set up Question

Thomas D. Kearns thomas.d.kearns at verizon.net
Sun Feb 23 19:41:49 PST 2003

Replies interspersed.

On Sunday, February 23, 2003, at 10:05 PM, Basil Bourque wrote:

> On Sunday, Feb 23, 2003, at 18:14 US/Pacific, Thomas D. Kearns wrote:
>> My set up:  Verizon DSL Modem to Hub to Airport (iMac also hooked to
>> Hub).
>> My iBook (OS 9.0.4) sees the Airport but I can't get the internet.
>> I can't get either the Internet or Airport Assistance to work.
>> Internet asks for a "subnet mask" and a "router address" and I don't
>> know either.
> You have to get that information from your DSL provider, which I
> suppose is Verizon in your case.

They seem oblivious. Say its an issue of connection to Airport.
However, I got the IP address and Router from my iMac which has been
connected and working well.  The "Subnet Mask" is blank, however.

> Your internet provider must give you all the fields of information you
> see in the Network systems preferences:
>
> - IP Address (Identifies your computer from other computers. Four sets
> of numbers, each in the range of 0 to 255. If you were given a
> specific "fixed" address type it here (preferable), otherwise choose
> "DHCP" to get one assigned to you automatically.)

The iMac works on a fixed ip address.  Same for Airport?

> - Subnet mask. (Usually something like 255.255.255.0. It is not worth
> explaining. Just know that it mathematically matches your IP address
> number.)

Clueless.  Blank on iMac.  Can't find in Verizon docs.

> For a direct connect (computer to hub to DSL "modem") you enter the
> data in the Network panel. For going through Airport, you enter the
> same data in the Airport admin tools.
>
> "Designing AirPort Networks" guide by Apple for Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar)
> and 10.1:

The iBook is still on OS 9.0.4.

> P.S. Next time avoid Ma Bell, and use a real internet provider (see
> DSLReports.com for companies like Speakeasy.net).

Verizon has worked very well until this latest customer service problem.

> --Basil

Thanks,  Tom