moving iPhoto Library

Brian Fish ifish at macosx.com
Tue Feb 25 09:52:35 PST 2003

>>> Does anyone know of a way to change the location that iPhoto
>>looks to for
>>> your iPhoto Library?  I know it can be done for iTunes under
>>prefrences, but
>>> I can't find a way in iPhoto.  The photos that I wan't to see
>>in my library
>>> are located on a connected server.  I know I can alway connect to that
>>> server and copy the pictures into my iPhoto Library, but I'd
>>like iPhoto to
>>> automatically look to that location.  Any thoughts?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Brian
>>
>>Am I misunderstanding or over simplifying your question? If you
>>do not need
>>multiple libraries or access to your pics when disconnected from
>>the server,
>>just move your iPhoto Library onto server and create an alias for
>>it in the
>>original location inside pictures folder. Dont mess with anything
>>inside the
>>library, move the entire library folder. This works fine for me
>>with library
>>on an ext hd. Im using iP2, and Jag 10.2.4. Hint came from Adam "Tidbit"
>>Engst's iPhoto book.
>>
>>Bob

I used this suggestion, which was a great suggestion, but have run into a
snag.  These eMacs are shut down each night.  When they are turned on the
next day, when the staff double-click on iPhoto, it says it can't find the
library.  If I click 'Find Library' and navigate to the iPhoto Library alias
in the Pictures folder it sometimes will open, thus mounting the server and
allowing me to open iPhoto.  Other times it will prompt me for an SMB
password, which I've already added to the keychain.  These are special
education students, and the staff are not computer literate at all.  I'm
still explaining how to "Save" and "Copy and Paste" on a daily basis.  For
them to have to select 'Find Library' each day and navigate to the proper
place is not really possible.  I just know I'm going to get 30 calls a day
about this from each classroom.  Any suggestions?

-Brian