[P1] Ibook hd question

david davidwb at spymac.com
Tue Feb 25 15:02:39 PST 2003

On Tuesday, February 25, 2003, at 05:38  PM, Mark Kippert wrote:

> david on 2/25/03 1:11 PM wrote:
>
>> check out: <http://caslis.com/mac/ibook/ibdrive.html> for doing the
>> clamshell iBook
>>
>> Several years ago I rescued a friend who got about 30 minutes into his
>> hard drive upgrade and chickened out. I finished it and while I¹ve
>> been
>> doing this kind of thing since 1978 (no, really, 1978. I built an
>> Altair) this was the most nerve wracking finger scraping upgrade I¹ve
>> ever done. A couple months later I decided my tangerine needed
>> upgrading so I let MCE do it. Great service and a decent price. I
>> highly recommend them for out of warranty PowerBook repairs.
>>

> I've heard it's not easy and if it's anything like swapping the drive
> in the
> iceBook, you're looking at a 3 hour job. I've done it three times and
> it
> doesn't seem to get any faster.

I talked to the tech who did my tangerine iBook and he said they had it
down to a science and could do one in about 70 minutes. Phew!

> One tip I'd like to suggest. It seems like no two screws are alike
> inside so
> DON'T mix them up. Print out the instructions at the link showing the
> iBook
> at different stages. Then as you remove a screw just poke it through
> picture
> at the corresponding point. It makes the process so much easier.

I grabbed a stack of dixie cups. Once I finished one step I put the
parts in the cup. I then put the next cup inside the previous acting
like a cap. When I had the drive installed I had a stack of cups. I
liked this method because I couldn’t accidentally sweep parts onto the
floor. I’d done that before!

david

Good qualities are easier to destroy than bad ones, and therefore
uniformity is most easily achieved by lowering all standards.
  ~~ Bertrand Russell

David