[P1] Capturing video clips from DVD

Anders Bogdan anders at theworks.org
Tue Feb 25 16:22:04 PST 2003

That iBook has an ATI video card and SnapzProX won't be of any help, as
it can only capture from NVidia cards.. That would have been the
easiest, I think.

Next easiest is if you have a miniDV camera w/firewire. Put the dvd
into a dvd player and connect the dvd player to your camera and either
record to tape or passthru (if your camera can do it) to the iBook via
firewire and capture from iMovie. Then you'll need to find a way to
reduce the size of the video stream you just made...

Your best hope after this is to check www.versiontracker.com for "dvd
capture" or the like - or on google. An app called VLC
(www.videolan.org) supposedly will allow capture but I've never been
able to figure it out. Looks like it might capture a clip. Or "save a
stream" if that's similar.

Sorry, I don't think there is an easy solution, I would be glad to hear
of one though.

Anders