Connection program (Jaguar)

Romain Kang romain at kzsu.stanford.edu
Thu Feb 27 09:14:26 PST 2003

There's plenty of free software out there that should run native
to X.  The catch is that you need to be handy with UNIX systems
programming.

I've seen reports of building "tip" from FreeBSD sources.  Google
"tip" and "/etc/remote" for some pointers on how to do this.  If
you need to do file transfers, dig up "lrzsz" to speak x/y/zmodem.

The Linux program "minicom" compiles with a little more fuss.  It's
a VT-100 + serial line program which can communicate with a built-in
modem (which I presume is in the clamshell).  You need a framework
like Fink (fink.sf.net) to deal with the i18n hooks in minicom,
though.  I started out with Fink and got something working in about
30 minutes, but it's completely untested.

Good luck,
Romain Kang                             Disclaimer: I speak for myself alone,
romain at kzsu.stanford.edu                except when indicated otherwise.