[P1] Suggestions for light duty scanner? [corrected subject line]

Dan Farley danfarley at mac.com
Fri Jan 3 14:33:06 PST 2003

> I am using the Canon LiDE30.   $99.00  Very light and does NOT need a
> 110V power adapter (uses the USB power) making it very portable.
>
> Be sure to download the latest drivers so you get full use of the features.

I have used three versions of the thin CanonScan Scanners and love them,
though they aren't speedy. One of the big advantages as mentioned earlier is
that they don't require a power brick because they are powered over your USB
connection. This makes them very portable. I've slipped one in my computer
bag, dragged it from FL to CA and back with nary a hiccup. It makes your
portable computer a portable scanning station!

I'd also suggest you try VueScan, a shareware scanner driver
(<www.versiontracker.com>) that is more fully featured than what comes with
most scanners and is OSX compatible. Not only that but it works with almost
any scanner so that you can "borrow" whatever scanner you might be near.

I think <www.dealmac.com> had a link to some refurb Canascans recently for
about $50.

Dan