[P1] self-quotes

George Slusher gslusher at rio.com
Sat Jan 4 05:10:43 PST 2003

Two points:

1) For Jack: Reading the "quote," it appears to be signed by yourself,
IOW, the words are your own. I expect that was what Dave meant. Many
people include some sort of quotation as part of their signature. (There
are programs/scripts to rotate the quote from a selected list.) Usually,
those quotations are from some famous and/or historical figure, like
Albert Einstein, Franklin Roosevelt, etc.

2) for Dave, re:

>Actually, many people calling for action to deal with Saddam over the
>past 15 years or fewer years *are* or were enlisted or have family
>members who are enlisted. Many have specifically enlisted over the last
>15 months. I know one personally. 20+ years? What a meaningless and
>convenient number you choose in your "quote". You need a history lesson
>on the Bath movement. Where do you get your misinformation?

This is way off-topic for this list, but I don't think that Jack was
referring to "ordinary" people like us or folks we know, but to political
leaders and their advisors/cronies, in two ways. First, many (including
most of those closest to Bush) have not served in the military at all,
much less in combat. (You can always find a few exceptions, but, many of
those, like Brent Scowcroft and Colin Powell have advised extreme caution
with respect to invading Iraq, as have most retired generals and admirals
who have spoken on the subject.) Several magazines have labeled these
leaders as "chicken hawks," with obvious intimations.

BTW, don't point to ACTIVE military as examples of those who "support" an
invasion. They CANNOT do or say otherwise. No active officer, especially
a senior officer, can publicly criticize the President or other political
leaders. (It's risky to do so even in private, as what was meant to be
private can become public in an instant.) The oath the Joint Chiefs and
other senior officers (indeed, all officers and enlisted persons) take
requires that they support & implement whatever the President and the
Secretary of Defense say or decide, even if they believe that the
orders/decisions are unwise.

Beyond personal service, though, the question is whether the _children_
(or nephews, nieces, grandchildren, etc.) of these leaders are enlisted
people in the armed forces or even officers in combat arms units? Friday
morning, Congressman Charles Rangel was on an NPR program to explain a
bill he is introducing to reinstate the draft. In his bill, the draft
would apply to everyone--men and women, regardless of religion, physical
condition, etc. Those who could not serve in the active armed forces for
religious or physical reasons would serve in other public service roles
in the schools, hospitals, etc. Congressman Rangel said that he had asked
many of his colleagues if they had children or close relatives who were
enlisted or in combat units--none did. That's not surprising, as the
military is no longer considered a desirable job/career for people who
are well-off, well-educated, well-connected, etc. (At least one prominent
conservative "talking head" reportedly said that someone would have to be
stupid to join the military.) Indeed, the military has been promoted as a
way for those who don't have the advantages of wealth, education, or
connections, to get ahead.

FWIW, I would go further than Rep. Rangel. Without going into details,
I'd like to see the children (or nephews, nieces, grandchildren) of
appropriate age of all elected and high appointed federal officials
immediately drafted when their parent takes office. They would go through
basic training, then be assigned to reserve units. If a war came while
their parent was in office, they would be immediately called up and
assigned to units that would be in the first wave of an invasion. (The
children of members of Congress who vote AGAINST a war would be called
up, but would go to support units in the field, rather than combat
units.) If we have a draft, I'd favor a form of "affirmative action" that
would increase a person's chances of being drafted if (1) she were female
and/or (2) he/she was from a wealthy or politically-well-connected
family, since these classes of people did not have "equal opportunity" in
the past versions of the draft.

To me, this is only fair. For many years, the burden of military service
has fallen disproportionately on the poor, uneducated, and
minorities--those with the least power. It would also personalize the war
decision for the President and Congress. I wonder if GW would be as
anxious to invade Iraq if he knew that his twins would be infantry
privates in the first landing party?

George Slusher, Lt Col, USAF (Ret)
Eugene, OR
gslusher at rio.com