Mac.com

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Wed Jan 8 01:52:37 PST 2003

> From: david <davidwb at spymac.com>
> item: backups to .Mac are very unreliable in both directions. My iBook
> was
> scheduled to backup daily at 7am eastern time (as unprime as I can
> make it)
> and at least 2 days of 7 the backup fails.

I don't backup as often as you do, but I've never had it fail EVER.
Perhaps the fact that I'm on broadband (you didn't say if you are or
not) has something to do with it, but Backup's iDisk component works
perfectly for me.

> Backup is no longer part of my safe hex plan.

Don't know if you've tried it lately; there was an update not too long
ago that improved it all-around and added a better "disk spanning"
scheme. Personally I've never had a problem with it at all -- no
coasters, restores fine (slow).

Of course I *do* have complaints about Backup -- number one being that
I can't back up to another HD.

As I said, it's no Retrospect Express. But a Backup is better than NO
backup, as I'm sure you'll agree.

_Chas_
"We don't want to be like Windows. We want to do everything better. We
are intent on creating the greatest computers and the best computing
experience in the world. And we are the only ones who can say that with
a straight face."
- Greg Joswiak, Apple VP of hardware product marketing