Questions about Airport

Jay Boshara jboshara at mchsi.com
Thu Jan 9 20:23:56 PST 2003

I agree with everyone else -- AirPort cards and some kind of wireless base
station (not necessarily Apple's) is the way to go IF you are planning to
share an Internet connection.  If you are not planning to share an Internet
connection, then all you need to connect the two computers wirelessly is two
AirPort cards (I think).  In other words, the AirPort Base Station is not
required ONLY to connect the two computers: File Sharing will work between
two AirPort card-equipped computers WITHOUT a Base Station.  And, as someone
else pointed out, the price of AirPort cards dropped today to $79 each.

However, I encourage you to also get some brand of base station because it
really is a joy to surf or email while barbequing, lazing on the porch,
babysitting in the back yard, or watching TV, especially with a broadband
Internet connection.  And you do not need the new Extreme AirPort station
for this because regular AirPort works fine around a normal sized house.