[P1] iBook & printers connectivity

david davidwb at spymac.com
Fri Jan 10 04:14:05 PST 2003

On 1/10/03 2:51 AM, "Paul Bernhardt" <pbern10 at xmission.com> wrote:

> Robert Newman said on 1/9/03 8:11 PM:
>
>> I agree about 3rd party cartridges.  I have been using cartridges sold
>> by D&H Graphics made in China for my Epson 740i for about 3 years now.
>> I get more printed pages with their cartridges, color and B&W than I
>> get from Epson cartridges at a fraction of the price.  The B&W
>> cartridges cost around 4.00 apiece, and the color 6.00.  4.95 shipping
>> no matter how many you buy.  In all of this time only one has been bad.
>>  I think that the bad rap that third party cartridges get is propaganda
>> generated by the printer manufacturer.
>
> I wonder how much the Chinese are getting paid to make them... of course,
> the same might be said of the Epson cartridges, I don't know...

There are three basic possibilities:

1) the factory is owned by the Chinese military and located in a
   're-education' camp - the workers aren't getting paid
2) the 'factory' is a home cottage industry (very likely since refilling
   remanufactured cartridges is very low tech) and the pay is less than
   pennies per cart
3) the factory mostly hires 16-24 year old women who work 6-6 1/2 days
   a week, 12 hours a day and live in company barracks

Whenever possible I make sure that I buy nothing from China

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by frost.

davidwb at spymac.com