[P1] removing OS 9?

Linda Van Thiel lvt at mac.com
Fri Jan 10 08:41:54 PST 2003

> Your OS 9 System Folder *is* Classic, but if you never use OS9 anyway
> , and
> I mean never never, just go ahead and trash both. I only use mine for
> two
> purposes now, 1) old OS9-games and 2) if I should have to save my
> OSX-partition using DiskWarrior on the road.
>
> Cheers,
> Kim

I've even ditched my old os 9 game folder.  There are plenty of os X
games that have a much nicer look.  I hope dw3 does arrive soon,
booting into 9 to check/fix drives isn't a big hassle (have 9 on my
iPod and can boot from that) but it takes an enormous amount of time to
do a drive bigger than 20 gigs!

  NEWS FROM MACFIXIT.COM

Alsoft's DiskWarrior 3.0 for Mac OS X

DiskWarrior 3.0 is almost out, It was originally scheduled to be out
almost a year ago, but solving Mac OS X-related problems proved to be
more difficult than anticipated. As a point of contrast, it took Alsoft
only 5 months to write the first version of DiskWarrior from scratch.
It took one and a half years to upgrade it to Mac OS X! When making a
disk repair utility, you can't afford to have a buggy first release. So
you take however much time you need, which is what Alsoft did.

But Alsoft assures me that it is really almost out this time. In fact,
they are selling a "sneak peek" version of it at the show. There are
only a few speed issues that need to be addressed before its expected
official release in February. The new version runs native in OS X but
can fix any volume, whether it contains Mac OS 9 (or earlier) or Mac OS
X. The only restriction is that the boot volume must be running Mac OS
X 10.2.1 or later

The new version does essentially the same repairs as its OS 9
predecessor, which is to say it does a superb job of repairs. The major
improvement is that it is much faster. For example, it can check a
drive with 600,000 files in about 8 minutes. It also includes S.M.A.R.T
disk checking (essentially duplicating the functionality of FWB's
recently released SMART ToolKit).

Micromat's TechTool Pro 4 for Mac OS X

The gestation period for TechTool Pro 4 has exceeded even that of
DiskWarrior.  The wait is almost over. It is scheduled for an April
release. The new version combines Drive 10 (Micromat's existing OS X
drive-checking utility) with a new OS X version of TechTool. The new
version will include all the features of the OS 9 version, except for a
few that are no longer relevant in OS X. As with DiskWarrior, TechTool
Pro 4 will include S.M.A.R.T hard drive testing. It also now runs tests
simultaneously instead of sequentially, dramatically improving
performance speed.

Linda
SE Michigan
(planning on a trip to the Apple Store tomorrow;
Keynote,  iLife, Airport Extreme base station and 3 "old" airport cards
already ordered for work)