[P1] IBook query...

viaoddbrainstorm viaoddbrainstorm at mac.com
Sun Jan 12 12:04:34 PST 2003

On Sunday, Jan 12, 2003, at 11:59 US/Central, david wrote:

> On 1/12/03 12:45 PM, "Pat D. Stephens" <patdart at cox-internet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm outfitting an iBook (an orange clamshell) for a friend, and have
>> been planning to put her in 9.1, but I like OSX a lot and have had no
>> problems with it in the three weeks I've had it...so now, I'm
>> wondering...how slow will that machine be if I put it to X and how
>> much
>> memory does she need to make it run well?  I think I've read that that
>> is a problem...any others I should consider?  I like the way Safari
>> works and I could just transfer everything from my iBook 700 to it,
>> right?  As a clean install?  She's PC phobic and asked me to put in
>> the
>> easiest system I could find because she hated the PC she used at
>> work...never did learn to use it properly and thinks she can a Mac for
>> email and simple stuff.  So, I really don't want to create problems
>> for
>> her as I live 4 hours away and will have to troubleshoot it.

I have 10.2.3 on a Blueberry iBook with 192 MB ram and the original 6
GB HD.  Pared down Jag as much as I  could.  It's used mainly for word
processing.  I have Appleworks, MacLink Plus,  Fax STF X,  Netsape,
Safari, etc.  Just using it for document storage I still have over 3GB
left over.  It works fine with 192 MB of ram for these purposes.  And I
really appreciate the stability of Unix and Jaguar versus 9 anything.
With Rendezvous and my desktop I really don't need a bigger drive even
for storing the occasional batches of photos when I travel.

David