[P1] Apple HK speakers

George Slusher gslusher at rio.com
Tue Jan 14 11:15:52 PST 2003

>wondering if the funky Apple (HK) Pro speakers (clear domes) can be
>used on a new 800MHz iBook ?

Probably not. The Apple Pro speaker port is a special port and the plug
is different; the iMac has another port for headphones or analog
speakers. The iMac apparently "recognizes" the Apple Pro speakers, as I
sometimes get an error message that the device plugged into the Apple Pro
port cannot be recognized. I have to unplug it and plug it in again.

>can someone comment on the sound quality of these little guys ?

They are pretty good. I added a H-K iSub subwoofer, which can shake the
floor in some games. The setup isn't the same as a high-quality hifi
system, but you can connect the iBook or iMac to a good hifi system. I
seem to recall reading that someone (Griffin?) has a device which
connects to the Apple Pro port and converts it into the right output for
a hifi system.

George Slusher/Eugene, OR
gslusher at rio.com