[P1] PowerBook 190 query

George Slusher gslusher at rio.com
Tue Jan 14 14:13:39 PST 2003

>I just found an old PowerBook stored away.  It's a 190.  I ran into trouble
>with it years ago but don't remember much.  Presently the situation is this:
>When plugged in, the PowerBook turns on and a smiling face appears, but
>instead of  booting up, it shows a message:
>
>This startup disk will not work on this Macintosh model.
>Use the latest Installer to update this disk for this model.
>(System 7.1 does not work on this model; you need a newer version that does.)
>
>It won't move beyond that.
>I have no idea what it's trying to boot from.  I'd like to take a look at the
>contents before deciding what to do with this PBook.  I have some old
>software
>floppies and may have what it wants.  Any advice you can give would be most
>welcome.  Go slowly, step by step, as I'm a little dense about these things,
>but tenacious, and will use every bit of instruction I can get!
>All the best.
>MJo

The first thing I'd do is to start it up from the Emergency Startup
floppy that came with it. It may be called "Disk First Aid" or something
like that. It needs OS 7.5.2 or later, according to "MacTracker," a neat
little history application. Once you start it up from the floppy, you
should be able to examine the hard drive and even run Disk First Aid to
try to fix it.

George Slusher/Eugene, OR
gslusher at rio.com