[P1] To Sleep or Not To Sleep?

George Slusher gslusher at rio.com
Wed Jan 15 00:49:08 PST 2003

>Hi,
>When is it better to shut down an iBook, rather than putting it to
>sleep?  Should one not move their iBook when it is in sleep?
>
>Thanks,
>Eric
>--
>Eric Schwarz
>   schwarztech at jmug.org
>   schwarztech.macweekly.com

The answer will depend upon what you're doing. If you are using the iBook
frequently, put it in sleep rather than shutting down. If you're
traveling, put it in sleep before you pack it in your case, as the
security people may want you to show that it works. I don't know about
the clamshell iBooks, but my 12" ice iBook when initially fully charged
will go for several (3-5) days in sleep mode and still show 2 of 4 LEDs
when I push the battery check button on the bottom. It has an LED near
the latch button that pulses when the iBook is in sleep mode.

You can customize the Energy Control Panel to spin down the hard drive,
turn off the display, etc, at the times you define.

And, no, it doesn't hurt to move the iBook when it is in sleep, as the HD
is not spinning. That's the only mechanical device on the iBook.

George Slusher/Eugene, OR
gslusher at rio.com