[P1] iBook & travel

Jason Bennett jpbennett at mac.com
Wed Jan 15 09:07:56 PST 2003

Joan,

I've also checked through security several times with my iBook, and on
each occasion they wanted me to turn my machine on. After my first
experience, I always leave my iBook in sleep mode so I can show it
works normally ASAP (and I think the security personnel appreciate it
since allows them to keep things moving). If you prefer to shut it down
for the flight, you can always leave it in sleep mode in preparation
for security checks, and then shut it down completely once on board the
plane (or when you're waiting at the gate). Sleep is a lower power
"stand-by" mode, so it won't interfere with flight navigation during
take-off and landing.

As a precaution, remember the "three finger salute" -- Apple(command) +
Control + Power button -- to force-reset the laptop in case it doesn't
wake from sleep properly. This has never happened to me at security,
but it's a good to know "just in case," along with the little paperclip
hole procedure if it doesn't start up from a cold boot.

Jason