[P1] SOT: Firewire speed and external hard drives?

Richard McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Wed Jan 15 12:49:52 PST 2003

Andrew,

I don't think that you should have any problems as the drive will be a slow
one anyway (compared to tech today). Jack makes a valid point that certain
models and brands may be better suited than others...The whole setup has no
doubt improved in the last year or two as experience was gained by the
manufacturers...FYI, it was an IBM Deskstar 60GB drive (7200 rpm,
manufactured Jul 01) that gave up the ghost on me first.

On a sad but learning note...

I can confirm that one can indeed have a flashing system folder on start-up
when the HD is defective...at least I managed to find something positive in
the whole ordeal...

Cheers,

Richard