[P1] dead LCD...boo hoo

Mark Kippert maclists at kippert.com
Thu Jan 16 08:33:26 PST 2003

Brian Fish on 1/16/03 9:22 AM wrote:

> Just thought i'd share my bad fortune.  Yesterday, when waking my 3 month
> old iBook 600 (16 MB VRAM)from a screen effect, the screen went crazy and
> started showing multi color vertical lines.  NNNOOO!!!!!!!  I forced it to
> power down and took it home.  Each time I tried to boot up, the screen would
> shortly start displaying vertical lines.  Apple said it would be 5-7
> days...which means i'll be without my baby (the iBook) for the whole
> weekend.  It's currently my only Mac.  How much does that suck?  What could
> cause that?  I try to be as gentle as possible with it.  Now i'm going to be
> extra paranoid when it comes to my iBook.  Just needed a shoulder to cry on.
> Thanks.

Sorry to hear about your iBook. If it helps, Apple service is great. When
the screen was flickering on my iBook last October, I called Apple on a
Tuesday and they sent me a box overnight.

I was still able to use the iBook and needed it for a meeting that Thursday
so I waited until the Following Monday to ship it. I packed it up and sent
it off about 3PM. To my surprise, it was delivered to me Wednesday morning
at 9:35AM (I remember glancing at the clock in surprise). I hadn't expected
to have it back until the following Monday, Friday at the earliest. I don't
know if this is typical or not but I have to say I was very satisfied.

I remember mentioning this to an acquaintance who had purchased an iBook
from CompUSA and bought their extended warranty. He took it to them when he
had a problem (don't recall what it was). It was a week before they ever
looked at it and another 3 weeks before they received the needed part. When
he got it back 29 days later, he was very upset with the poor assembly,
scuffs and nicks. However he didn't want to leave it with them as he feared
it would be several more weeks before they corrected it.

A word of warning. Don't buy anybody else's extended warranty. Go AppleCare!

Hope your repair goes as well as mine did.

-Mark