[P1] power inverters for the car

Bonnie Crisp dandbcrisp at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 16 09:50:55 PST 2003

Guy,

I have had two since last summer.  The first was a Belkin.  I got it at
CompUSA when I was looking for a Automotive adapter for my new (then)
icebook.  It was $40 and I believe 300 watts.  It turned out to be more than
enough power (we ran my ibook and a CD player at the same time).  The kids
used the ibook to watch DVDs and play video games using our Virtual Game
Station on the ibook.  It is a 13 hour trip to see the grandparents.

Well, it overheated was left on too long or something and got fried.  I
replaced it with a Jensen (I think it is also around 300 watts) from Best
Buy.  It cost a bit more than the Belkin as I recall, but less than the $79
one I saw in another reply to your request.

I highly recommend the inverter, since it is much more versatile than an
auto adapter for any AC device.  Just be cautious about the heat dissipation
for the unit.  Good luck.

David Crisp

From: Guy McMickle <fierose8608 at fuse.net>
List,

I'm looking for some input on power inverters.  I'm going on a trip this
weekend and would like to be able to use my iBook for longer than the
battery lasts.  I was thinking of getting a power inverter that plugs into
the cigarette lighter.  What kind of power should I be looking for?  Any
brands I should stay away from?  Thanks.

-Guy McMickle