[P1] Screen protection necessary?

Mark Kippert maclists at kippert.com
Thu Jan 16 13:23:07 PST 2003

Adam Boettiger on 1/15/03 10:43 PM wrote:

> I have a Pismo and there were problems with the keys making marks on the
> screen.  My wife has one of the new iBooks G3 800.  Can anyone tell me if
> the same problem occurs on the iBooks?  Should one place a protector or
> piece of flannel over the keyboard before closing the iBook?  If so what is
> good to use?

Yes, the same problem will occur. I gave up on the protector as I could
NEVER remember to use it (I take my iBook to work and back every day) and
the marks have appeared on my screen. I found that they will clean off
completely, but it takes time and a lot of slightly firm but gentle rubbing
(I use Kensington Screen Guardian spray with their lint free cloth wipes).

However I also have marks forming on the frame surrounding the screen where
the where the extreme left and right ends of the keyboard make contact.
These marks wont come off, rather they are wearing down the matte finish of
the frame. I also see where the bottom edge of the clicker button is making
contact with the top edge of the screen. Again the marks are from wear and
not grime that could be cleaned off. Note that these marks aren't dark, nor
all that obvious. Rather the matte surface where they make contact is
becoming shinny.

So if you will be closing your iBook every day, I would suggest finding
something that covers the entire surface of the iBook, not just the
keyboard.

-Mark