Well, I've done it now!!!!

maizychicken maizychicken at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 18 14:29:44 PST 2003

Help needed......

I was installing some extra memory in my iBook this morning and I dropped
one of the teeny tiny RAM shield screws INTO the computer.  The shield and
the screw hole weren't lining up well, and the screw just rolled into the
hard drive area.  I tried to shake it out the way it went in(could here it
rattling around in the machine) but no luck.  Now I can't hear it at all,
but I know it's still in there.  Have spoken to Apple, as the iBook is only
about 2 months old and still eligible for free phone support, and they said
to send it in and that it'd cost $283.  I'd really like to try to get it out
myself.  Do you think the shaking is a bad idea or damaging?  Anyone have
any experience in taking the case off an iBook?  Any tips, suggestions,
detailed instructions on how to take the iBook apart <G> greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Maizy