[P1] Well, I've done it now!!!!

maizychicken maizychicken at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 18 19:49:05 PST 2003

on 1/18/03 8:07 PM, Jack Rodgers at jackrodgers at earthlink.net wrote:

> On Saturday, January 18, 2003, at 05:29  PM, maizychicken wrote:
>
>> I was installing some extra memory in my iBook this morning and I
>> dropped
>> one of the teeny tiny RAM shield screws INTO the computer.
> <snip>
>> Have spoken to Apple, as the iBook is only
>> about 2 months old and still eligible for free phone support, and they
>> said
>> to send it in and that it'd cost $283.  I'd really like to try to get
>> it out
>> myself.  Do you think the shaking is a bad idea or damaging?
>
> Keep us informed of what is going on... :)
>
> You sound like you have the same luck I did when working on my old
> sports cars in my early twenties. I always ended up with a few left
> over parts, which made me wonder who designed cars that had more parts
> than they needed, and my father would always point to the rotor I left
> out when I put the distributer back together...but never before I had
> run my battery down.

:)

> Your experience is why I am always happy paying the repair guys to do
> something. I don't know how much that cpu chip would have cost if that
> hard drive had landed directly on it rather than an inch to the side.
>
> OK, serious, stop where you are and don't go any further. Find a good
> repair guy and see if you can convince them to help you find the screw.
>
> You might even just set it aside for three hours, preferably four, and
> then get a small flash light and look where you think it is. Also look
> on the floor below where you were shaking the book. The main idea is to
> stop looking and trying until your mind has settled down and you can
> act more calmly and thoroughly.

Thanks for the support Jack---not sure what I am going to do from here
really.  Just trying not to do anymore damage.  I'm tempted to open the
machine up myself as I've been pointed in the direction of some pretty good
take apart guides.....but, we'll see.  As you said, I have just left the
ibook for a bit while I've been scouring the net for any help.  I'll figure
it out tomorrow......sigh