[P1] iTunes over airport?

Richard McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Tue Jan 21 15:40:08 PST 2003

Brian,

I can only tell you my experience to hopefully help you...

I had recently posted that after establishing a airport network connection
between my iBook and iMac I had used airport card and iBook with iTunes to
connect to the iTunes folder on my iMac (connected to airport base station
by ethernet cable)...I changed the advanced preferences setting in iTunes on
the Book to be the file I had access to on the iMac (iTunes folder) as well
as removed the "copy files to iTunes music folder..." option and then used
the File menu command "add to Library" on the Book to add the music files to
the library but not copy them...this worked great (granted iTunes first had
to go through the list of songs and adjust the volume...as per settings) and
then voila I had the iTunes interface on the iBook with the link to the
files on the iMac, as long as I was still connected to the iMac...I later
turned them off and rebooted in the morning to find that the setup didn't
work anymore...I was using DHCP settings for the connections so the
addresses used in the intranet were different...may have worked with a
static address...your mileage may vary...

HTH, if you experiment let us know what works in the end...

Cheers,

Richard