[P1] OT: fake paypal email warning

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 21 21:43:24 PST 2003

On Tuesday, January 21, 2003, at 10:45  PM, Pat D. Stephens wrote:

> This scares me...I got something last week that told me to go to a
> site to check my paypal account and since I hadn't done anything with
> it in the last half year, I deleted it without checking.  Wonder
> what's going on?  I thought that very strange...

Scammers are always looking for your credit card numbers and this is
one of the games they play.  If you go there and the url is not https,
it is not Paypal. Paypal always has the 's' added to http to indicate
that it is a secure site.

also, you can check the headers of the email using Option+Command+U in
mail.app and see where the email came from. It almost always has an
origin other than Paypal.com.

If you like you can expand the headers, select all and forward the
offending email to Paypal, if you have the proper email address.

Don't be scared. It can't hurt you unless you respond.

---
I noticed while listening to the Capital Gang on CNN rant on pro and
con about UM's 20 points for Blacks that not one of the CG on CNN is
Black.
Jack Rodgers

Email: jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Web:  www.jackrodgers.com