Bit Image Copy of HD

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 23 08:45:17 PST 2003

I was just thinking about backups and the problems encountered with OS
X and why vendors have run into problems making an OS X backup.

I recalled a technique where a copy of the drive would be made to
another not by copying individual files but by copying the entire drive
bit by bit. Forget the name of the technique.

I then wondered if this could be used for OS X and whether it would be
simpler and faster. Retrospect Express takes an awful long time
gathering the file and folder info, comparing, erasing, etc. plus
whatever it has to do to maintain the OS X file system.

If making a bit by bit copy of the drive is possible, then the software
wouldn't have to work in OS X, I would assume. Are there other problems
involved that would prevent this technique from working?

---
Lobate Black Scale -- A Photo Essay By Jack Rodgers
http://www.jackrodgers.com