Dead AirPort

Bill Raffensperger raffy at macsrule.com
Thu Jan 23 15:53:51 PST 2003

My AirPort Base Station arrived in November 1999. Back then we were
using a MacSense router hooked up to a Global Village 56K modem. The
ABS was used as an access point for the tangerine iBook to join our
network of two desktop Macs and a printer.  It wasn't too long until we
retired the GV modem and the MacSense router.  The ABS, plugged into a
hub, became our network. We used the ABS modem until July 2001, when
DSL arrived. The trusty ABS functioned as the router until yesterday
when it died.

First it started acting up by resetting every now and then. You'd have
a network connection, then it would be gone. Then it would come back,
then disappear again. Watching the lights on the ABS, it would just
shut off, then reboot, then work OK for a few minutes, then repeat. I
called Apple Care last night at 6:30 p.m. EST.

They used the Apple Care from my iBook 600, and said they would send me
a new one in 7-10 days. An original grey ABS arrived today, a little
past noon, not quite 18 hours after my phone call.  I packed up the old
one and called Airborne and it is already gone. The network (seven Macs
and a printer) is up, just like normal. Pretty dang amazing.