[P1] Dead AirPort

Paul Bernhardt pbern10 at xmission.com
Fri Jan 24 10:31:57 PST 2003

Brian Pearce said on 1/23/03 7:28 PM:

>> I am just having the same experience and experienced the very same
>> kind of
>> problems...
>
>Both of these cases sound (on the surface) like the well-documented
>AirPort Base Station failures that occur with the original models in a
>particular range of serial numbers; it happened to me, as well, and you
>can arm yourself with the necessary information to get Apple to
>acknowledge the problem and provide a replacement, if you don't have
>AppleCare. (A particular electronic part not properly rated fails;
>resets and dropped connections are a symptom.)
>
>There are a few web sites that cover this problem, and the information
>you need to obtain repairs. (I'd be more specific than that, but I
>deleted all the saved pages I had when all this happened to me.)
>
>BRIAN/bpearce at cloud9.net

This site appears to be very helpful for these problem Base Stations...
And, check the link "Call Apple" along the left of the screen. It has the
range of serial numbers that Apple will supposedly fix for free. They
also have links if you want to fix it yourself.

Apparently there are a couple of capacitors which go bad over time and
replacing them is easy for persons with modest soldering skills and
willingness to open the case.

http://www.BaseStationRescue.com/

Paul