Crashing Apple Mail

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sat Jan 25 11:33:08 PST 2003

> From: good-dog at northshore.net
>
> Recently Mail has been unexpectedly quitting on me. It seems to happen
> when I'm deleting groups of messages at the same time.  One second I've
> got a string of messages highlighted, maybe 6, and when I press
> Delete,----<poof!>----Mail quits, giving me the Unexpected Quit
> message. It doesn't affect anything else.
>
>   I'm on Jaguar 10.2.3, with Apple Mail 1.2.3 (v551), both running on
> an
> ibook 500MHz dual usb with 640 mb.

Try the following in this order:

1. Rebuild the affected mailbox (the command is the last one under the
"Mailbox" menu).

2. If that doesn't fix it, move the file "com.apple.mail.plist" to the
trash (don't empty the trash just yet). The file is in your Home
folder->Library->Preferences folder. Then re-launch Mail.

3. If that doesn't solve the problem, try running Disk Utility and opt
to "Repair Permissions." See if any of the repaired permissions involve
Mail.

4. If that doesn't solve the problem, download the free "Jaguar Cache
Cleaner" from versiontracker.com or MacUpate.com and run it. Restart
the machine.

Let us know if that solves the problem.

_Chas_

Lee Gomes of the Wall Street Journal, 24-Jan-03 , commenting on Apple's
growing arsenal of hardware, OS and software that is clearly superior
to anything in the Windows world: "It's like someone forgot to send
them the Resistance is Futile memo."