[P1] OT: Keep Internet Explorer or MS products?

good-dog at northshore.net good-dog at northshore.net
Sun Jan 26 06:17:36 PST 2003

On Saturday, January 25, 2003, at 06:24 PM, Charles Martin wrote:

> I really like MarinerWrite. It's a good, clean, elegant wp. Nothing
> more, nothing less. You can check it out via Marinersoft.com.
>
> I also use Final Draft, but that's specifically for scripting.
>
> One of my jobs "required" submitting in MS Word, so I dutifully went
> out and get Office a year or so back (whenever the OS X version first
> came out). I later discovered that sending them the files in .rtf
> format was perfectly fine (ARGH! *Any* wp program can do RTF!). Still
> it was useful to have Word around for when I got .doc files from
> others.

It appears that for what most people do for writing, they can do it
without Word and be compatible with the "Forced Standard" of Microsoft,
and with OS X's ability to be compatible, this becomes less an issue.
With products like Mariner Write Migration away from the Heinous,
Soulless Giant becomes that much easier, with less fear of "missing
out" on anything significant.  I'm assuming this is what you mean. If
so, cool.

True, MS may employ wonderful Mac folks, but Hitler had great
designers, too (some of their graphics are great. You can't take away
from their design capabilities, but you wouldn't want to hang the stuff
in your house, either.)  I agree with your opinion about associating
with companies who trade in swill as their common currency of behavior.
  Would you shake Mao's hand knowing it was responsible for the murder
of over 20 million people if you didn't have to?  Freedom of choice is
a priceless commodity. Well spoken, Chas.