Coke as solvent (somewhat OT)

bittof at attbi.com bittof at attbi.com
Mon Jan 27 08:56:13 PST 2003

Ahh, Jack, you're perpetuating the distorted Coke myth. To quote an essay on
urban legends:
All such claims ignore a few salient points: Coca-Cola  will not dissolve a
tooth (or a nail, or a penny, or a piece of meat) overnight. Anyone who says it
does hasn't actually tried such an experiment. Coca-Cola contains acids (such
as citric acid and phosphoric acid) which will eventually dissolve items such
as teeth (given enough time), but so do plenty of other substances we commonly
ingest (such as orange juice). The concentration of acid in these products is
so low that our digestive systems are easily capable of coping with it.

And to quote a scientific journal:
May pointed out that the .055 percent level of phosphoric acid was far below
the 1.09 percent acid content of an orange ...