OS X on a PC? [forward from a different list]

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Mon Jan 27 14:57:26 PST 2003

> From: Mike Beede <beede at visi.com>
> I don't know what Charles was getting at when he referred to "extensive
> rewriting."  Perhaps he meant "recompilation."

I did. Thanks for the correction.

>   Certainly there is no
> need to rewrite for a new CPU -- that's the compiler's job.

Usually when there is a new CPU, there are new APIs to bridge to other
devices. It's a lot more than just a simple recompile for
commercial-grade programs, as the folks at MS, Corel, Adobe and Quark
will be happy to tell you.

_Chas_

Lee Gomes of the Wall Street Journal, 24-Jan-03 , commenting on Apple's
growing arsenal of hardware, OS and software that is clearly superior
to anything in the Windows world: "It's like someone forgot to send
them the Resistance is Futile memo."