[P1] hot spots in the U.S.

Brian Olesky brian4 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 28 20:44:10 PST 2003

On 1/28/03 11:17 AM, "maizychicken at earthlink.net"
<maizychicken at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Brian, assuming one found a wireless network that's not password protected,
> how does one access it?  How should I configure my computer?  I don't have an
> airport card, but am getting one soon....
> Best,
> Maizy

When you install your Airport Card, you'll find an icon in your menubar that
looks like a striped slice of pie. When you pull it down it gives you an
option to turn your airport card on or off, plus it also shows what wifi
networks are available to you at that moment. Of course, you should see your
own, but if you're in range of someone else's, you'll see the name of their
network as well. If you simply click on it, and you're lucky, you'll get
right on, and off you go. But sometimes, if it's been password-protected,
you won't be able to get on without that password. Sometimes when I'm in a
client's office, I'll log on, notice that they have a wifi network that's
password protected, I'll ask them for the password, and bingo, I'm online,
without having to resort to the old dialup method. When I visit my
daughter's office in San Francisco, obviously a hotbed of hotspots, I can
open my computer and find as many as 3 or 4 available wifi connections
available. And don't worry about all this talk of it being illegal or
unethical. If all you're doing is logging on to get your email and do a
little innocent surfing, you're not really hurting anybody or depleting
their assets in any way.

Brian